All I know is that I don't know.
All I know is that I don't know nuthin'.



Links and whatnot

Blogs and Friends
Preacherman
Johnny Payphone
Mr. Nosuch
Teresa Strickland
radiohodgepodge
Just Cheap Dirt
xpurple
Fairly Crass
Babble Book
Staircase Wit
Pezman
Jack Jackson's Dirty Pictures 2000
Jgrrl's LJ
lfirebrand

Funny, yet true
The Onion
Modern Humorist
Something Awful
X-Entertainment
Seanbaby
What's Better?
Homestar Runner
Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog
Get Your War On
Maakies
A Softer World

News and stuff
Plastic
Google News

Movies
IMDb
Roger Ebert
Cinema Confidential
Rotten Tomatoes

Music and Art
Pitchfork
They Might Be Giants
Bongwater Taffy
Rate Your Music
Rocket From The Crypt
The All Music Guide
2.13.61 Publishing
Tha Friendly Gangstaz Committee
The Wooster Collective
Star City Scene
OLGA
The Terminals
oh my god
The Zyklon Bees
Strawberry Burns
Lone Prairie Records
eagle*seagull

Genuinely Useful Stuff
The Straight Dope
Adbusters
SpamCop
Pandamail
h2g2
Download.com
Analog X
The Free World
Pilonidal.org



Oral Sex Donations Accepted

Mail me
AIM: RawkStah
My Profile
My MySpace Space



HOME

Archives:

This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?

Get Firefox!
Tuesday, December 27, 2005
Christmas After-Action Report

Things went well, if boring (as was to be expected). I got some decent loot, and some truly, truly excellent loot. I didn't get any cookbooks, or loads of CDs. I only got one DVD -- "Adaptation", which is good. It's a great movie. And I only got one CD -- "Pet Sounds" by The Beach Boys.

Holy, holy crap.

I know perfectly well I'm not where I should be.
I've been very aware you've been patient with me.


How the hell did Brian get into my head in that song? He was 23 when he wrote this album. 23!

One thing that has always bugged be about Brian Wilson's arrangements is that he doesn't seem to make them as "big" as he could have. He doesn't crescendo as big as I would have. This cat played the production booth like an instrument, and he still could have made things HUGE. Of course, he's purely pop, and that's a wonderful thing. There is not a damned thing wrong with pop music. To have the balls to do something purely pop in the rock era is fantastic. But, take the final crescendo in "Good Vibrations", right before the chorus/outro. I want to be knocked off of my feet. I want to be absolutely unable to contain myself during the end of that song. Very few people have seen me lose my shit at a concert, but I keep rhythm with my whole body. I smack my chest and thighs to keep the beat, I close my eyes and look down at my feet, nodding in time as I jump up and down, I look like a damned fool, but it's all worth it to feel something. Shit was lost at They Might Be Giants, and shit was lost at Pixies. I imagine that if I saw "Smile" peformed live, I would lose my shit.

I don't know if I can properly express what rocknroll really means to me. If it was good enough for John Lennon, it's good enough for me. I'm fortunate in the fact that I don't have any friends in shitty bands. It's not like I'm turning a blind eye, either. The bands of my friends are truly good. Some of them are even great.

K. I'm out of words. P'raps there will be more later.




Comments by: YACCS