All I know is that I don't know.
All I know is that I don't know nuthin'.



Links and whatnot

Blogs and Friends
Preacherman
Johnny Payphone
Mr. Nosuch
Teresa Strickland
radiohodgepodge
Just Cheap Dirt
xpurple
Fairly Crass
Babble Book
Staircase Wit
Pezman
Jack Jackson's Dirty Pictures 2000
Jgrrl's LJ
lfirebrand

Funny, yet true
The Onion
Modern Humorist
Something Awful
X-Entertainment
Seanbaby
What's Better?
Homestar Runner
Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog
Get Your War On
Maakies
A Softer World

News and stuff
Plastic
Google News

Movies
IMDb
Roger Ebert
Cinema Confidential
Rotten Tomatoes

Music and Art
Pitchfork
They Might Be Giants
Bongwater Taffy
Rate Your Music
Rocket From The Crypt
The All Music Guide
2.13.61 Publishing
Tha Friendly Gangstaz Committee
The Wooster Collective
Star City Scene
OLGA
The Terminals
oh my god
The Zyklon Bees
Strawberry Burns
Lone Prairie Records
eagle*seagull

Genuinely Useful Stuff
The Straight Dope
Adbusters
SpamCop
Pandamail
h2g2
Download.com
Analog X
The Free World
Pilonidal.org



Oral Sex Donations Accepted

Mail me
AIM: RawkStah
My Profile
My MySpace Space



HOME

Archives:

This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?

Get Firefox!
Saturday, April 17, 2004

A One-Act Play


The Thin Line Between Lame And Cool


By Grant Bennett



Dramatis Personae:
Grant Bennett: Some cat.
Indie-Rawk Steve: Some other cat.

Setting: Some crap bar

Indie-Rawk Steve: So, you had the night off?
Grant Bennett: Yup.
IRS: What'd you do?
GB: Sat on my ass and read shit on Pitchfork.
IRS: Awesome.

OR IS IT?

----

Actually, I did a little bit more than that. Not much, but I did leave the house. (I didn't buy milk or mustard like I had intended to. Sorry. About the milk, not the mustard. I'm the only one here who <3's mustard.) Went down to a local bar called Michael J's, as Geoff had his play open tonight. Thought I'd stop buy and offer congratulations. Ran into some friends I'd not seen in at least nine months. A good time was had by all, and phone numbers were exchanged. The friends I'm referring to are:


    Steve Kramer, aka Thteve (props to Multiplicity for that name)
    Angela Ideus (who is actually Angela Kramer now, but I can't adapt to that)
    Josh Novotny (he's fucking tall)
    Christy Zucker
    Some Chick I Should Know The Name Of


Thteve had an excellent idea. I went to Doane College, and while there, I was in the choir. One day, some cats had an idea -- why not make a doo-wop group? I was asked to join, and said "Hell, yeah!" I (that's right -- your humble narrator) named the group DoubleWide, fully stealing the name from a rockabilly band called Supersuckers. We had 8 dudes in the group -- a double quartet. The name fit.

We were outsiders. An unofficial group on campus. Members were picked by members. Things were great. We understood exactly what we were -- a bunch of guys that weren't tremendously attractive trying to woo the ladies with our vocal talents.

Times at Doane have changed. DoubleWide now has like 15 guys, and they're doing strictly Barbershop. There's a time and place for barbershop, and trying to impress chicks ain't it.

Thteve's idea is to get the orginal "band" back together for Larry Monson's last concert as director of the Doane Choir.

Sounds good to me.

I doubt it will get me any, however.




Comments by: YACCS