All I know is that I don't know.
All I know is that I don't know nuthin'.



Links and whatnot

Blogs and Friends
Preacherman
Johnny Payphone
Mr. Nosuch
Teresa Strickland
radiohodgepodge
Just Cheap Dirt
xpurple
Fairly Crass
Babble Book
Staircase Wit
Pezman
Jack Jackson's Dirty Pictures 2000
Jgrrl's LJ
lfirebrand

Funny, yet true
The Onion
Modern Humorist
Something Awful
X-Entertainment
Seanbaby
What's Better?
Homestar Runner
Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog
Get Your War On
Maakies
A Softer World

News and stuff
Plastic
Google News

Movies
IMDb
Roger Ebert
Cinema Confidential
Rotten Tomatoes

Music and Art
Pitchfork
They Might Be Giants
Bongwater Taffy
Rate Your Music
Rocket From The Crypt
The All Music Guide
2.13.61 Publishing
Tha Friendly Gangstaz Committee
The Wooster Collective
Star City Scene
OLGA
The Terminals
oh my god
The Zyklon Bees
Strawberry Burns
Lone Prairie Records
eagle*seagull

Genuinely Useful Stuff
The Straight Dope
Adbusters
SpamCop
Pandamail
h2g2
Download.com
Analog X
The Free World
Pilonidal.org



Oral Sex Donations Accepted

Mail me
AIM: RawkStah
My Profile
My MySpace Space



HOME

Archives:

This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?

Get Firefox!
Saturday, August 17, 2002
Got the Pulp Fiction Collector's Edition today.

Some thoughts on the movie, after not having seen it for most of a decade.

1) It's still damn good. Some of the tension is gone, simply because I know what's coming next, but, it's still a very good movie. It should have won Best Picture instead of Forrest Gump -- which was a good flick, too. Just not the Best Picture.

2) The twist contest is not subtle. At all. Which leads me to point 3.

3) I'm not sure that Tarantino is much of a filmmaker.

Don't get me wrong -- I adore his work. I want him to hurry the hell up and finish Kill Bill (which may or may not have both Vincent Vega and Vic "Mr. Blond" Vega on screen at the same time!). Pulp Fiction was the only movie I've been to that got a standing ovation. I love the stories he tells. I love the pop-culture references. I love the dialogue and the characters. I'm just not sure how much of what we see is a result of his direction instead of the skill of the actors. (Jebus -- I almost feel bad writing this...)

He's clearly in love with cinema, albeit a different sort of cinema than Spielberg is in love with. He loves the 'underground' cinema -- blaxploitation, chop socky, things like that. He takes noir and mixes it up with what he loves, and we get wonderful movies. I'm not sure how good he is at being a 'subtle' director -- Jackie Brown was a good step in the right direction. He's a damned good writer and director, but I'm not sure that he's a 'filmmaker'...





Comments by: YACCS