All I know is that I don't know.
All I know is that I don't know nuthin'.



Links and whatnot

Blogs and Friends
Preacherman
Johnny Payphone
Mr. Nosuch
Teresa Strickland
radiohodgepodge
Just Cheap Dirt
xpurple
Fairly Crass
Babble Book
Staircase Wit
Pezman
Jack Jackson's Dirty Pictures 2000
Jgrrl's LJ
lfirebrand

Funny, yet true
The Onion
Modern Humorist
Something Awful
X-Entertainment
Seanbaby
What's Better?
Homestar Runner
Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog
Get Your War On
Maakies
A Softer World

News and stuff
Plastic
Google News

Movies
IMDb
Roger Ebert
Cinema Confidential
Rotten Tomatoes

Music and Art
Pitchfork
They Might Be Giants
Bongwater Taffy
Rate Your Music
Rocket From The Crypt
The All Music Guide
2.13.61 Publishing
Tha Friendly Gangstaz Committee
The Wooster Collective
Star City Scene
OLGA
The Terminals
oh my god
The Zyklon Bees
Strawberry Burns
Lone Prairie Records
eagle*seagull

Genuinely Useful Stuff
The Straight Dope
Adbusters
SpamCop
Pandamail
h2g2
Download.com
Analog X
The Free World
Pilonidal.org



Oral Sex Donations Accepted

Mail me
AIM: RawkStah
My Profile
My MySpace Space



HOME

Archives:

This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?

Get Firefox!
Tuesday, June 18, 2002
Play update:
Sweet Jeebus. One of my actresses decided she didn't want to be in the play anymore. Fortunately, re-casting wasn't a problem. The problem is, however, casting the remaining roles. That's right -- rehearsals are happening without a full cast. I am learning, however. I'm learning that coming from a 'theatre' background doesn't prepare you for working in community theatre.

For example: I believe that character comes first, blocking second. I want to see what my actors do naturally; what their instincts lead them to do. One of the producers is scared to death by that prospect. I go from general to specific in terms of blocking. If it were cinema, it'd be a different story. I would have clear ideas of shots I want to get. Theatre is different. I don't know what I'm looking for, exactly, but I know it when I see it. Some things, naturally, need to be blocked out. Other things should look natural. Go and sit down. That makes sense, since you just grabbed a cup of coffee. My producer, on the other hand, I fear, probably thinks I'm doing this all half-assed, which isn't too good. I trust my actors. They wouldn't be in the play if I didn't want them there. They were cast based on something I saw in them that resonated with the character. But, I'm not assertive to say 'Dammit, I'm directing this thing. We have 5 weeks. That's plenty of time to get shit blocked out. I learned that when reading a play, you disregard all stage directions. They are from the premiere of the play, and are rarely applicable to what you're doing. Again, lack of assertiveness is a problem. Of course, I do have problems communicating things since I tend to get all worked up and excited that I speak in things like 'Ok -- that was way, way too big. No Jerry Springer neck there. More like *some strange movement thing on my part* Ok, let's take it back to... ummm... 'Well, you were...'.

I'm not entirely sure that this will come together, simply for cast reasons.


On a happier note, I have a... well, dammit, a cybergirlfriend. Her name is Jen. We've exchanged pics and phone numbers, but we agree that it's probably too soon to call each other. It's strange, but I like it.




Comments by: YACCS